December 25, 2012 by Made In Brum
Blues goalkeeper Jack Butland is likely to be the first player out of the St. Andrews exit door when the January transfer windows opens.
It has been well documented that a host of Premier League clubs, including Liverpool, Everton and Tottenham have been keeping tabs on the 19 year-old, with Brendan Rodgers actively making an enquiry.
In the summer, Blues turned down a £6million offer from Southampton for the ‘stopper whose been capped by England. However, the payments were thought to have been in instalments which put Blues off selling their prized asset. With the clubs current financial predicament, understandably if an offer in that region was forthcoming in January, it would seriously test Peter Pannu’s resolve.
The acting-chairman admitted this weekend that talks are ongoing with at least two consortium’s, however, nothing has been agreed, and talks “haven’t been very eventful so far”.
Pannu told Blues fan site Often Partisan- “we need to ensure that we do not go in to administration by raising some funds and it maybe the case that further disposal (one or maybe two depending of revenue generated) will have to be made to maintain the cash flow”.
Butland is England’s most sought after young goalkeeeper, and it would be an achievement if the club were to hold onto him. Lee Clark said recently- “we don’t want to lose a player of Jack’s ability”. But the Geordie may have it taken out of his control.
Clark does have a list of players he would like to bring in, but the club will operate on a one-out, one-in basis, with the manager having to wheel and deal for his incoming transfers. It is likely, should Butland leave, a replacement would be signed to act as competition for Colin Doyle and David Lucas.
Nathan Redmond is also under scrutiny, but with his below average displays so far this term, no enquiry has been made so far.